Saturday, January 14, 2006

Musings on the Canadian Election and Why We Get the Governments We Do

Intention and Action seem like natural symbiots. Think of an idea and act on the intention to bring that idea to fruition. That was my idea initially to start a blog site so that I can publish a "daily" journal to the world at large. Although I started to carry out on the intention I found that my computer, which is on life support already, could not handle the formatting of this website which made posting impossible. I did try to stay late at work to write my thoughts but my intention to lose weight came as a higher priority than posting this journal, and again gentle reader you had to wait. Now I have found the time to sit myself down in front of my partner's computer to post my thoughts. This is something I do not normally do as his computer is really meant for work only.

Anyway I did not want to start a philosophical debate on Action and Intent. I will leave that for another day when I can better muddle out the meaning of the words. Tonight I want to wrestle with the current paradigm shift that is occurring in Canadian politics. I do acknowledge that there is a strong shift to the right toward the Conservative party. Most voters want change and with reason. The Liberal party have been under continuous assault with one scandal after another, that is kept on the front page by the Opposition parties. I too, would agree with the public at large. The Liberals need to spend some time on the sidelines. They need to find new leadership and heal. They need to find new direction and vision, and they can only do that while in opposition.

However a paradigm shift to the conservative right is not what I am talking about. I get the distinct impression that the Canadian electorate have become hedonistic and self-serving for the most part. We look to the government to take care of us through our entire lives. We look to the government to take care of our children. We look to the government to take care of us in our old age. We want the government to tax us less and yet provide the most elaborate health care possible. Whatever happened with us taking a personal stake in our own lives? Whatever happened to us taking responsibility for our own actions, including the actions of the governments that we elect. We have become so complacent about government that not only do we elect people to go and govern for us, we give them free reign to do so. And Reign they do, to the point where they defraud the taxpayers of millions of dollars. What has happened to the public being involved in the decisions that occur with our public affairs?

I saw a CBC news report the other night where Joe Schlessinger commented that fewer and fewer people are participating in the party process that exists here in Canada. As such fewer policy platforms are being created from Liberal, Conservative, or New Democratic congresses. So where do the politicians get ideas to form policy? From lobbyists and advocacy groups. It is those few who are telling our elected officials what the hot action items should be. So why are the public not being consulted in policy conventions as frequently in the past? Likely because we are too busy working or distracting ourselves from our service to each other to chase the latest fad or electronic device. We have to realize that we created these governments from our own disinterest to participate in the process.

Will a shift to the political right change everything? Absolutely not. What we need is a paradigm shift. The question is how do we define a paradigm much less shift it. In essence everything that we believe in is a paradigm. For a long time a pound (lb.) was used as a measure of weight. Many of us still use it as a measure of weight. However it is a paradigm, a construct, a belief in a system of weights and measures. However a pound is not a pound if the gravity constant changes. A 180 lb man weighs 30lbs on the moon. Knowing that a change in gravity changes the value of a pound a paradigm shift occurred to the gram as a constant measurement of mass independent of the factor of gravity. What society needs is a paradigm shift that moves away from the notion that government takes care of us. For as we can see that is no longer truly serving us. This Country could become avatars to the world if only we implicate ourselves into the body politic and with single minded intent develop policies that would be fair to all people in the Country and around the world.

How do we become involved? The easiest step is to vote. Vote your conscience. Never mind the strategic vote to stop another party from gaining ground, just vote for the party and politician who best reflects your values and desires. Once the election is over don't stop there. Take the time to write your member of parliament, member of your provincial assembly or municipal council. Let your desires be known. Other options are to start a blog site like I am doing, writing our local paper, or make your opinions known to a chat group.

It is time that we made the shift to thinking more than just about ourselves. Every choice we make affects the entire planet. It is time that we start taking responsibility for our actions. Do not complain about what you do or do not have, for you have created that reality from the choices you have made. As for me, I intend to make that paradigm shift. I will try to write my thoughts in this blog site as often as I can. I will get involved with my community, and try to advise those who lead us to the best of my ability. I encourage you all to do the same.

-Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home