Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things That Relax Me!

1) Meditation and deep breathing. Deep breathing activates my vagus nerve causing my system to relax and not react to stimuli that would otherwise trigger an adrenaline or cortisol response. Meditation incorporates deep breathing, as have been described by many different yogic practices.
2) Silence is very relaxing. You are quiet and can stop to listen to the song of the universe.
3) A long arduous "deathmarch" hike/backpack. Out in nature, gasping for air as you push up 5000 ft in one day is relaxing because somewhere on the trail my ego took off for the comforts of the city leaving my right brain and I to truly experience beauty and wonder.
4) Believe it or not but a bad-ass flu or fever is relaxing. When one is lying in bed drenched in sweat and shivering with cold, the ego takes a holiday and one's energy and vibration allows for some of the best visions I have ever had. So once I get over the whining that I am sick and settle in for the duration I accept the situation and relax into the unknown - that is until my sinuses pack and a bark like a dog for two weeks!
5) Immersed in the act of creation is very relaxing. I must stress the word "Immersed" When I am in the moment and I am singing or acting, painting, making soaps, making stained glass panels, whatever it is I am in the moment and all my problems and lists and labels and judgements that come with my rational mind melt away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home